Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

A neutral 'Net needs up to twice the bandwidth of a tiered network

A neutral 'Net needs up to twice the bandwidth of a tiered network

The real solution is to let people Tier the Internet traffic themselves - how much control do you have over your *own* Set of Tubes? Think globally and act locally is an old mantra, but how much do people do that with their Internet connection?

Unless you go through each and every program and tweak it (and do you *really* know how many programs you have connecting to the Internet?), chances are there's one or two programs choking your connection when you don't realize it. Not every piece of media you download via BitTorrent needs to be downloaded immediately (chances are you have a backlog of stuff you haven't watched yet).

Where's my visualization of my Set of Tubes? Can I control my Tubes through this visualization? Visualizing my connection is just as important as visualizing the actual People and Things I'm working with in my browser. As we add on one more program after another to my Internet, something like a GooeyTubes is more and more necessary.
blog comments powered by Disqus